Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bead Soup 2011 - My Reveal

First of all, please check out my Bead Soup Blog Party partner's blog, Rosa & Josie's , for Diane's completed pieces using the soup I sent her. She named her collection, grandmother's gold & glitz. It is special to me, as I sent her a set of my lampwork beads that I made to match a vinatge crystal necklace of my maternal grandmother's. What she created is simply wonderful; grandma passed away in 1979, and knowing that the necklace isn't just sitting in a box but has been sent on and repurposed for new memories is simply wonderful to me.

On to my Soup. Diane sent me spectacular items - a locket personalized on the inside with a ribbon and pearl nest, a resin insert, and a charm with my name; olivine jade rondelles, brass links; vintage brass chains and a vintage button; jump rings; wire; a brass clasp; Dupioni silk; and so much more. It was all packaged in a vintage jewelry bag.

I created this necklace using most of the components she sent me. Flanking the locket Diane sent is my own locket from my youth. The chain is far to small for my adult neck and I although I wore it contantly when I was younger, I have not worn it in years. On the other side of the locket is a vintage chandelier earring drop that was my grandmother's. I love creating assymetrical pieces, so the necklace is half Dupioni silk and the other side is the vintage brass chain and wire wrapped jade and aquamarine chips (my birthstone).

The night I discovered I was partnered with Diane (her blog name is dedicated to her grandmothers) I dreamt in the colors of the collection I ended up sending to Diane (When it comes to creating, always listen to the voices in your head). On an another 'I love how my brain works' note, Diane states on her blog, "... the necklace has an interchangeable dangle." I had to stop at that, because I made the locket removable on my necklace, too; I love the big locket and carried it around with me like a worry stone until it was time to finish the piece. I used the vintage button so it would still have a centered focal when I wanted to remove the locket to carry it with me.



The other piece I made with my goodies is a bracelet. I ran out of aquamarine chips, so I used vintage amber beads, amethyst chips, and varioius dyed pearls I have accumulated over the years. I used some of the silk as crimp covers and fashioned my own clasp out of brass wire I had on hand.

The props used for these photos are my grandmother's jewelry box from the 40's and a tool box from grandfather in-law's. I thought they were an appropriate way to finish up this post.


NOW - get on over to that blog party. Yes, there are 210 of us this time around; it may be a lot, but everyone needs as much eye candy as possible. :) Here is the full list.


1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things

2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life

3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane

4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio

5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations

6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs

7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things

8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe

9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto

10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio


11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas


12. Rachel Walsh, Balanced Crafts


13. Marian Hertzog, M's Place


14. Mary McGraw, MK's Musings


15. Sarabeth Burke, Chronicles of Sarita


16. Deci Worland, Gem Trails


17. Erin Prais-Hintz, Treasures Found


18. Laura Zeiner, Stick Lizard Designs


19. Kristin Latimer, MJM Jewelry Designs


20. Cathryn Brooks-Williams, Chile Cats





21. Holly Westfall, Silver Rose Designs


22. Janna Harttgen, Palima-Lim


23. Libby Leuchtman, Libby Leu


24. Rebecca Anderson, Songbeads


25. Deb Hunter, Living On Air


26. Diana Ptaszynski, Suburban Girl Studio


27. Jennifer VanBenschoten, VanBeads


28. Margot Potter, The Impatient Crafter


29. Cyndi Lavin, Beading Arts


30. Courtney Breul, Beads by Breul




31. Stefanie Teufel, Stefanie's Sammelsurium


32. Patricia Gasparino, My Life Under the Bus


33. Tari Khars, Pearl and Pebble


34. Kristi Bowman-Gruel, Kristi Bowman Design


35. Jayne Capps, Mama's Got to Doodle


36. Becky Fairclough, Chameleons Designs


37. Evie and Beth McCord, EB Bead & Metal Works


38. Lynne Bowland, Islandgirl's Insights


39. Barbara Lewis, Painting With Fire


40. Lorelei Eurto, Inside the Studio





41. Stacy Hartis, Sissy & Jack's


42. Jennifer Cameron, Glass Addictions


43. Marcie Abney, La Bella Joya


44. Johanna Rhodes, Fire Phoenix Creations


45. Nan Emmett, Spirit Rattles


46. Melissa Mesara, One Eared Pig


47. Amanda Davie, Articulations


48. Cherin Poovey, Lanyard Lady


49. Virginia Joste, ViviBijoux





50. Andrew Thornton, The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
51. Lori Dorrington, Lori's Glassworks


52. Melanie Brooks, Earthenwood Studio Chronicles


53. Kate Gardenghi, Tropical Blonde


54. Serena Trent, PinkIce Jewel's Blog


55. Malin de Koning, Beading by Malin de Koning


56. Shai Williams, Shaiha's Ramblings


57. Francy Inman, 8 Second Studio


58. Amy Freeland, Copper Diem


59. Lisa Liddy, Joolz By Lisa


60. Sandi Lee James, Do Be Do Bead Do


61. Mary Harding, Mary Harding Bead Blog


62. Stacey Curry, Star Hitched Wagon


63. Leslie Gidden, Mad Maggie Designs


64. Elisabeth Auld, Beads For Busy Gals


65. Niky Sayers, Silver Nik Nats


66. Linda Djokic, Lutka and Co.


67. Tracy Bell, Copper, Glass, and Recycled Trash


68. Laurel Steven, Rue's Daftique


69. Ingrid McCue, Wrapped In Silver




70. Birgitta Lejonklou, Create With Spirit


71. Diana Hawkey, Diana Hawkey


72. Norma Turvey, Moonlit Fantaseas


73. Jeanette Ryan, Jeanette Blix


74. Jackie Ryan, Silver Lodge Gems



76. Debbie Goering, Prairie Emporium


77. Valerie Norton, Hot Art


78. Jana Trupovniece, Stories of the Secret Garden


79. Amy Severino, Amy Beads






80. Emma Thomas, Fred Beans Nook


81. Karen Zanco, Everyday Gypsy


82. Suzann Sladcik Wilson, Beadphoria


83. Janet McDonald, Singing Woods


84. Dana James, Dana's Jewelry Designs


85. Kristina Johansson, Wild Roses and Blackberries


86. CJ Bauschka, CJ Bauschka


87. Angela Barribea, Re: Angela Rae


88. Marcy Lamberson, Studio Marcy


89. Tanya Floyd, Glass Migrations





90. Lisa Kavanaugh, Beading Bliss


91. Sue Hodgkinson, Hello Gorgeous


92. Jenni Connolly, Jenni's Bead


93. Nally Parfyonova, Nally's Creations


94. Karyn White, Releases By Rufydoof


95. Emanda Johnson, Artemisia Studio


96. Sandy Richardson, Sandy's Coloring Box


97. Cindy Dolezal, Cindy Dolezal Designs


98. Stacie Stamper, Park Avenue


99. Mallory Hoffman, For the Love of Beads





101. Nicole Valentine-Rimmer, N. Valentine Studio


102. Jacinta Meyers, Jamberrysong's Creations


103. Charlene Gary, Gray Girl Studios


104. Rubiee Hayes, Glitter and Keys Galore


105. Marge Beebe, Rock Creek Creations


106. Elizabeth Freeman, Turquoise Sky


107. Shelby Foxwell, Sundown Bead Designs Rhetoric


108. Lynda Moseley, Diva Designs


109. Grace Danel, Grace Beading


110. Lois Moon, Que Onda Quitman





111. Agnes Shapiro, Beader Bubbe


112. Terry Carter, Tapping Flamingo


113. Judy Glende, Judith B. Designs


114. Mary Ellen Parker, Bee Tree By Me


115. Barbara Bechtel, Second Surf


116. Charlene Sevier, The Bead Dreamer


117. Alice Craddick, Alice's Beads and Baubles


118. Cory Celaya, Art With Moxie


119. Ronda Adams, The Ravished Heart


120. Sandi Volpe, Sandi Volpe Designs




121. Anna Lear, The Laughing Raven


122. Susie Hibdon, Vintagesusie & Wings


123. Amanda Austin, Sea Shore Glass


124. Jennifer Velasquez, Jen Judd Rocks


125. Hazel Ward, All Those Things


126. Brenda Salzano, Salzanos


127. Dee Gordon, Runako Designs by Dee


128. Anna Denisova, Anita-M


129. Margaret Saari, Mags-Jewelry





130. Genea Crivello-Knable, Genea Beads


131. Penny Neville, Copper Penny


132. Angela Blasingame, Hopemore


133. Helena Fritz, Beadwork by H's Blog


134. Stephanie LaRose, Confessions of a Bead Hoarder


135. Stephanie Haussler, PixyBug Designs


136. Diane Cook, Rosa & Josies


137. Maryse Thillens, Glass Bead Art


138. Jennifer Pride, Jewelry by J.P.


139. Shannon Chomanczuk, For My Sweet Daughter





140. Lisa Godfrey, Bead Happy


141. Heather Pyle, Welcome to My Muse


142. Regina Santerre, Regina's Writings


143. Liz DeLuca, Creative Arty Facts


144. Sig Wynne-Evans, Beaded Bear's Nonsense


145. Loretta Carstensen, Loretta's Boutique


146. Raida Disbrow, Havana Beads


147. Amber Dawn, Inventive Soul


148. Shelly Graves, Stars Dance With Me


149. Jess Italia Lincoln, Vintaj Blog




150. JJ Jacobs, Coming Abstractions


151. Carrie Tahquechi, Carrie T


152. Staci Smith, Staci Louise Originals


153. Katarzyna Kwiatkowska, Quiet Area


154. Ema Kilroy, Ema K Designs


155. Magdalena Sikora, Poranna Gazeta


156. Nicole Keller, Nicki's Reef


157. Ann Rishell, My Critical Eye


158. Noemi Baena, Fire, Metal, and Color


159. Christa Murphy, Adventures of One Beady Woman



160. Barbara Blaszczyk, Labotorium Flory


161. Collette Collins, Firefly Myst


162. Carola Greiser, Polymer Clay Shed


163. Joanna Kopijczuk, Bizuteria z Filcu


164. LeAnn Weih, Summers Studio


165. Cassandra Watsham, Design by Cassandra


166. Anna Motz, Stunning


167. Shea Zukowski, Gr8findings


168. Susan Kennedy, Sue Beads


169. Lisa Boucher, Lisa's Clay Happenings




170. Hope Smitherman, Crafty Hope


171. Alison Crenshaw, Beads by Earth Tones


172. Dorcas Midkiff, Wondrous Strange Designs


173. Melissa Rediger, Sea of Glass


174. Marina Dobrynina, Savon Feutre



176. Menka Gupta, Menka's Blog


177. Patsy Evins, Patsy Evins Studio


178. Cherrie Fick, En La Lumie're


179. Suzette Bentley, Ellie's Bijoux




180. Molly Alexander, Beautifully Broken Me


181. Lyn Foley, Lyn Foley Wearable Art


182. Tara Plote, The Newbie Beader's Blog


183. Natalie Schuetz, Natalie S Perlen


184. Kim Hutchinson, Running on Ink


185. Haley Frank, Wide Eyed Smilin


186. Grace Caputo, Suddenly Last Summer


187. Marie-Noel Voyer-Cramp, Skye Jewels


188. Erin Siegel, Erin Siegel Jewelry


189. Janea McDonald, Organized Chaos


190. Kristi Evenson, Colie Bug & Co.


191. Linda Inhelder, Must Haves Jewelry


192. Hilary Frye, FryeStyle


193. Whitney Lassini, Whitney Lassini


194. Nancy Schindler, The Rabbit Muse


195. Pam Brisse, The Blue Between


196. Beth Bricker, Vintage Sweets


197. Ruthie Stickney, Rose Works Jewelry and Gifts


198. Rose Noble, Lady Noble Designs


199. Karen Williams, Baublicious



200. Claire Maunsell, The Next Bend


201. Christine Damm, Stories They Tell


202. Kerry Bogert, Kab's Creative Concepts


203. Wendy Blum, Sand & Sea Designs


204. Juli Cannon, Julsbeads


205. Jenny Robledo, La Dona Boutique


206. Krista French, French Elegant Jewelry


207. Pam Krinski, Ewa Beads


208. Melissa Meman, Melissa Meman, Art, Life, Love


209. Dana Jones, Dana's Jewelry


210. Shirley Moore, Beads and Bread




The next party's sign ups begin August 1-3, 2011. Don't miss it!



98 comments:

graygirlstudios said...

very nice! I like how you brought all the elements together. nice colors too!

Palimpa Lim said...

Just beautiful. I would wear it every day.

Wendy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the locket!

diane cook said...

Melissa....Oh, my goodness, you make a girl so very, very proud! I love how you added a locket from your childhood next the INTERCHANGEABLE locket from ME! Is that not just the greatest of all, that we each did that! And, you know what...it didn't stop =) I made another. The Lord surely brought us together for this soup, and I am so very thankful for that. BTW, what was your grandmother's name? She surely is smiling right about now, don't you think?
xoxox

Spirited Earth said...

i think i'm in love..gorgeous

Dee said...

beautiful! I simply love how you incorporated the old and the new...what a cherishable piece..wonderful job!

Kristen said...

She really did make a beautiful creation with grandmas necklace. You have also made a beautiful creation!

Mags said...

Great photos of the adorable pieces!! The necklace is a very cute one, the locket is to envy for <3

Clayworks by Lisa Boucher said...

Hi Melissa - You're so lucky to get such a lovely and personal mix. I like how you explain your process and about your dream. Very nice work - I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Cindy said...

Melissa, you created not only a stunningn piece, but one filled with such sentimental value. I just love that. You and Diane are like kindred souls that way - each with such a deep affection for your Grandmothers. I understand that feeling as well. Your necklace is a real beauty, and I just know you'll add it to your Grandmother's beautiful jewelry box -when you're not wearing it! - with pride. :-)

Bobbie said...

Very pretty and romantic -- nice job!

Lisa said...

Those are beatutiful, Melissa...love that there is a story behind them as well.

one-eared pig said...

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words!

one-eared pig said...

And Diane, I agree!

Janet said...

Wow this is One of my Faves of the Party. So timeless and very Elegant. It really looks fit for Royalty! Wow Im so impressed.

BeadsByEarthTones said...

love all the elements in this design and i think you showed each off perfectly...i would be so proud to wear this work of art!

Pretty Things said...

This is such a lovely, heart-felt post. I'm so pleased you were able to make something meaningful and special. It's lovely.

Deci said...

Such a lovely creative soup!

Terri said...

Soup-er cool!!! Really terrific job with your soup mix. Combining old with new I think gives it a special touch.

Pam @ The Blue Between said...

Very pretty!

Marcy Lamberson said...

love the multi strands that add weight to balance the focal.

Suzette Bentley said...

Very pretty! I love how you incorporated the old with the new.
Have fun hopping!

roseworksjewelry said...

Lovely pieces - and I love the significance :)

rosebud101 said...

Wow! Beautiful!!!!

moonlitfantaseas said...

I love your necklace, and I love how you put your locket and your grandmothers earring into it too

Elisabeth said...

How beautiful!

SummersStudio said...

I love the serendipity of the sentimental value of what you and your partner have here. Beautiful.

Beadbug said...

You are my 141 blog visited today :) I love how you brought all the different pieces together to create a fun to wear unique piece. I can't wait to see it in person. Love it.

Dana said...

#209 here...great job...

chocoholic said...

Beautiful lockets and necklace. My favorite though is the bracelet- yummy colors and texture. Great soup!!

Jenni C said...

A very pretty, romantic and sentimental piece that will be cherished in the future. Love the fact the locket is interchangeable if you wish. Well thought out.

Prairie Emporium said...

Very Very lovely!! Great design.

Creative Arty Facts said...

I really like the colours you've used in your pieces, but i especially like the braclet - just beautiful!

Helmitarha said...

The piece you created is amazing! And so very special! Great job!

maryharding said...

Lovely necklace and bracelet. Love all the meaning these pieces have for you and your soup partner.I am a real fan of dupioni silk and I love how you used it.

Fire Phoenix said...

Both pieces are superb. I really like that you've added your own locket into the mix as well. I reckon this'll be a piece you'll keep forever!

SavonFeutré said...

Wonderful, very beautiful design!

Courtney said...

Melissa, your piece is stunning. I am in luv.

Loretta said...

Two great designs with fond memories. I love the colors in the second necklace and the ribbons add such a fun touch. Great soup!

Regina said...

What a special necklace you have created, something to be cherished for years to come. Lovely! Sounds like you and your partner are kindred spirits.

Julianna Cannon said...

So very unique! Love that necklace!

Stunning- said...

Love the great use of silk with the beads - adds great texture to your piece!

EB Bead and Metal Works said...

Absolutely stunning! Love the locket can be removed and taken with you.

Jennifer Cameron said...

Great pieces and I love that you added your childhood locket. Thanks for sharing your thought process.

Laura said...

What wonderful pieces and a lovely story.

Gr8Findings said...

How beautiful that you were able to incorporate so many elements from your past in this post. Very touching way to remember the people we have loved.

stacilouise said...

love the ribbon! Perfect accent!!!

French Elegant Jewelry said...

Beautiful and love that bracelet

Penny said...

Vintage and romantic come to mind when I look at your necklace. Lovely job!

Salzanos said...

Very lovely, and nice color harmony!

Julie Nordine | Credit River Art Glass said...

Beautifully done, Melissa!

Jess Italia Lincoln said...

Beautiful! Love the story behind your bead soup and designs... the lockets are lovely! You & Diane were the perfect match :)

Everyday Gypsy said...

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have those pieces in my jewelry box. Just beautiful..

Tara P. said...

I love it! It's just beautiful.

Judy said...

I love vintage and this necklace speaks to me! The bracelet is so pretty...love the colors!

vintagesusie & wings said...

So beautiful friend, I love this necklace & what you did with your SOUP! Simple Stunning!!! ;)
Thanks for sharing...
Susie

Nicki said...

I love lockets - your design is really cute. Like it a lot.

Shelly said...

gorgeous! And how fantastic is it that your ideas meshed with your partner's so well? I love that family heirlooms!

I like how you made the locket removable, I would never have thought of that `;~)

Leigh said...

What a stunning creation! You have a great eye for color and design.

Steph L. said...

Such pretty pieces!

Sarabeth said...

gorgeous!!!!

sarabeth

Holly said...

Melissa - that bracelet is lovely, and the necklace divine! I sooo love that you were able to work with both your own locket and the one from Diane, and love that you can take the larger locket off, should you so choose! Beautiful, just beautiful.

Heidi said...

Love the sentimentality of the necklace with your childhood locket and grandmother's earring. Very pretty. The silk is a great addition!

one-eared pig said...

Thank you, everyone for your kind words!

Janet said...

Im coming back again to say how much I LOVE this..it looks like a beautiful treasure unearthed from a dig! BRAVO!!

BeaderBubbe said...

So nice...not a fan of vintage, but must admit this is lovely...great soup! :)

Jean said...

this is so feminine and beautiful!

Lisa Godfrey said...

Beautiful! Such a cool locket!

GraceC said...

Two really intersting pieces and a whole bunch of synchronicity on the exchange. Beautiful work. Also enjoyed your explanation of the props.

Serena Trent said...

I like really like this piece beautiful!

Releases by Rufydoof said...

Wow - what a nice job you have done of bringing all of the pieces together. I love it. Well done!

Karyn
Australia

Barbara Bechtel said...

Hi Melissa! Your aesthetic is really delicious. I love how you paired all of the crystals together. And using the two very special lockets makes the piece one you'll cherish forever :)

Aloha!

Joanna Matuszczyk said...

Love colours in the bracelet! Gorgeous creations!

Hazel Ward said...

Really lovely, and it's made even better by the history behind the design :D

Beadroe said...

Great vintage feel to your piece.

sundownbeaddesigns said...

Such a lovely piece! I loved reading about the inspiration behind your piece as well as what you sent to Diane. Well done!

Beth said...

Beautiful....What a cool locket Diane sent you.How special to honor your grandmother by using her earring and using your childhood locket. I love that you made this so personal. Great Bead Soup.

tappingflamingo said...

ooo, how very pretty!

TesoriTrovati said...

How cool to honor all your grandmothers in this way! I love that you added your own special locket to the mix. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

LeeLu Creations said...

My favorite is the bracelet. So chunky and fun! And I love the colors together.

ladynobledesign.com said...

I like how you brought all the elements together and that locket is very cool. Great Soup!

Menka Gupta said...

very nice. I love the way you have played with the locket.

CraftyHope said...

That necklace is really something. It's so funky. Don't get me wrong. . .I like funky. You've made a beautiful piece.

Alice said...

love the locket and the bracelet has great color combo.
alice's beads and baubles

Lutka And Co. said...

What lovely soup! and what a wonderful necklace you made!

Birgitta Lejonklou said...

Woow Melissa,
those pieces are awesome !!

maneki said...

Very pretty with a nice vintage feel! I really like the colours in both the necklace and bracelet.

Kitty Durmaj said...

Melissa, your jewelry is beautiful. I describe it as "dreamy"!

I especially enjoyed your description of how your piece was created. It was like I was sitting next to you while you were working on it.

Genea said...

Oh I love the necklace! I love the texture and the assembly using many beading techniques.

Valerie said...

Beautiful with a victorian feel. Very nice! You had lovely components to work with and you did a great job. Also, thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. So nice of you!

Patsy Evins said...

I love the vintage design with both your necklace and bracelet. Your creations captured the wonderful feeling of the elegance of days long ago!

Marian Hertzog said...

I love the personal story you have with your necklace! Very pretty... both pieces.

Stacey said...

Beautiful pieces - love the old world feel - and the bits of ribbons - just beautiful!

Rebecca said...

Love what you've made and I *love* your Grandma's jewellery box! Such a lovely idea to make the locket removeable - I totally know what you mean about carrying around beads and the like as worry stones....I have a big lampwork focal I do the same with. Great job!

Noemi said...

Love the way you have used fabric on that necklace!

I would like to thank you for your kind words, it has really meant a lot, specially as I am having a really tough time. At least I am back home now.

Just So you know, I have left a thank you note on my blog, and I would love you to read it if you have time.

A big hug your way.

Boot ~C said...

beautiful mix of media

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can make cash by locking special pages of your blog or website?
Simply join AdscendMedia and add their content locking tool.

Blogger said...

Are you making money from your premium shared links?
Did you know AdWorkMedia will pay you an average of $500 per 1,000 file downloads?