Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Today's Inspiration

Books.  Since I was little, it has always amazed me how people can express so many things so wonderfully in words.  While I love to talk (Seriously, just try and get me to shut up about the magic of glass, or how stinking cute my dogs are, or...), I am not usually very eloquent.  I can get my point across.  I can certainly hold my own in an argument.  But stories?  I have grand stories in my head, but have never been able to put them into words.

I love fiction, but not fiction that involves real situations with made up characters.  I read to escape, so I want to escape all the way.  Nearly everything I read involves vampires, werewolves, faeries, zombies, demons, and alternate worlds.

There certainly isn't enough time to bore you to share all my favorite authors/books, but I just have to plug one author who makes me twitchy just waiting for her next book to arrive.  I am in love with Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire.  Under Mira Grant, she writes the Newsfeed series.  It is basically about the zombie apocalypse, but so, so much more. I first found her October Daye books about a faery halfling. She writes beautifully and I can instantly connect and care about the characters. Her endings make me shout out loud and leave me wanting more (in a totally addicted way).

"I guess in the end, it doesn't matter what we wanted.  What matters is what we chose to do with the things we had."  - Georgia Mason, Deadline (Mira Grant)

PSA: My dad was a voracious reader, and when I cleaned out his bookshelves after he died, he had over 3,000 of them.  I kept a select few (I have my own hoard collection to maintain) and I took the rest to the local VA hospital.  By the time I wheeled in the third dolly-load, I'm pretty sure half the residents were there.  They were ecstatic to see all the new books coming in.  My dad was a Viet Nam vet, and I know he would be very happy to see his books go for such a good cause. If you are ever looking to get rid of books, magazines, VHS tapes, or CDs, please consider your local VA.  Give a little back to those who have served.


No comments: